Monday, October 25, 2010

Engineering Essay


Why did I choose to try to become an engineer? If I said it was just for the money, it would be a lie, although it doesn’t hurt either. Engineers find ways to make life simpler and they must constantly strive to improve themselves. It’s a career that’s not only challenging but interesting as well.
I’ve always had an interest in technology ever since I can remember. If I or someone in my family got a new cell phone, computer, etc. I’d know how to work it within a half hour. One of my favorite things as a kid was building the Kinex roller coasters or other theme park rides and watching them come to life. Starting back in sixth grade was my first actually technology class where I felt completely at home, whether I had to make a bridge out of toothpicks or design boxes for cookie sales. Everything I did came fairly easy to me and if it didn’t then I strived to figure it out. I was recognized by my tech teacher and classmates and was chosen to be the leader in charge of certain projects, which made me feel both excited and honored.
I stuck with technology as I took the plunge from middle school to high school. I enjoyed taking the first two drafting and design classes where I did well, but it was my third year that really got me hooked. My architecture class was what got me thinking that maybe I could actually have a career that I really enjoyed doing. That class gave me a better understanding of the world around me and I began truly observing my surroundings. I noticed things I never saw before and became amazed with the simplest things, like the arches under a bridge or the way all the rooms in a home flowed together. From there I decided I wanted to be an architect and design houses for a living.
I was very determined until the possibility of becoming an engineer was brought to my attention. They have a broader spectrum of types and they don’t have to worry in the money department which is good for a girl who was always told she has expensive taste. I began researching the topic and found that a civil engineer sounded like a perfect career for me. They don’t create homes but instead they design things such as bridges, roadways, and cities. Being a very big hearted person I liked the fact that I could help people on a larger scale and make their living simpler in little ways. It’s like killing two birds with one stone.
With all that in mind I went into my engineering class with an open mind and was not disappointed. I loved using our new program to create 3-D objects of whatever I wanted and I already have begun imagining creating larger scale things like a robot of some sort. Each project we get becomes a new, exciting challenge to figure out. Some people find making miniature working catapults boring but I think it’s thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment